Monday, May 21, 2012

Gazing Ball Stand - Made From Stacked Thrift Store Vases

I finally put together my Gazing Ball Stand. You can also use this technique to make bird baths or bird feeders. Just put a plate or shallow bowl on top instead of the gazing ball.  Or, turn a fish bowl over and place a statue, silk flowers, or something pretty inside.

I found this idea on Pinterest (search for "Garden Totems" and you'll find lots of pictures).  To make them, gather together a selection of vases, fish bowls, plates, pottery, punch bowls and platters and just go crazy stacking them too see what looks best.  If it does not work upside down, turn it right-side-up.  Use plates in between the vases or bowls for added stability.  Try them in different directions.  Think about what will happen when it rains; where will water collect?

I bought a few pieces, but found the rest in my cupboards. I washed all of the pieces, removed the price tags & labels and dried them before gluing them together.   Use a combination of 5-min epoxy and clear premium silicone (I've also heard that aquarium adhesive works) to secure the pieces.  I used the 5-minute epoxy for the heavier pieces then I sealed the edges with the clear silicone.  I just used the clear silicone for the smaller pieces.  You can find these in the paint department at Lowes. We shall see in a few month if this is the best way to do this.  I live in New Mexico and our summers are very hot, possibly wet (monsoons season), windy, and dry.  I will take a picture of this one in the garden as soon as the adhesive cures.  I'll also take pictures of the torches and other garden accents I made.

You can have a lot of fun putting little statues, glass beads, nuggets, smaller colored glass vases, or pottery inside the larger clear glass pieces.

Lucy checking out the gazing ball stand.
I put a talavera vase inside and a few blue glass beads for added color.


1 comment: